I am in the middle of planting a church, Christ the King Church. We are in the core group development phase, and so this post from Luke Simmons is very helpful. Read the whole thing here, but here’s the basic list:
1. Your primary job is to create a culture that you and God will be happy about 10 years from now.
2. Your new pastor and church will eventually disappoint you and let you down.
3. Work to create an evangelistic texture to every ministry environment.
4. Always talk as though nobody knows who your heroes are. Don’t use names of people like “Tim Keller,” “John Piper,” and so on without explaining who they are.
5. Be known by what you’re for, not what you’re against.
6. Don’t moralize your personal preferences.
7. Leave your current church on great terms (or go make it right if you didn’t).
8. Relentlessly involve new people.
9. Be ready for change. Every decision is tentative because church planting requires constant flexibility and adaptation.
10. Direction, not intention, determines your destination.
HT: Acts29 blog